VMware has released the latest version in the vSphere 6.5 series which is Update 3. vSphere 6.5 Update 3 comes with the improvements in ESXi with patches included. Improvements in vCenter Server & VMware tools. So if you are using vSphere 6.5 any release you can have chance to go for upgrade to 6.5 Update 3.
Before going for upgrade make sure to check for the Compatibility support & upgrade paths so you don’t face any issues or problems later on. There is no few features added as it is a version which comes with the fixes & improvements.
So below is the details about the vSphere 6.5 Update 3 :
What’s New in ESXi 6.5 Update 3:
- The ixgben driver adds queue pairing to optimize CPU efficiency.
- With ESXi 6.5 Update 3 you can track license usage, refresh switch topology and see improvements in the search and Developer Center in the vSphere Client.
- ESXi 6.5 Update 3 provides legacy support for AMD Zen 2 servers.
- Multiple driver updates: ESXi 6.5 Update 3 provides updates to the lsi-msgpt2, lsi-msgpt35, lsi-mr3, lpfc/brcmfcoe, qlnativefc, smartpqi, nvme, nenic, ixgben, i40en and bnxtnet drivers.
- ESXi 6.5 Update 3 provides support for Windows Server Failover Clustering and Windows Server 2019.
- ESXi 6.5 Update 3 adds the com.vmware.etherswitch.ipfixbehavior property to distributed virtual switches to enable you to choose how to track your inbound and outbound traffic, and utilization. With a value of 1, the com.vmware.etherswitch.ipfixbehavior property enables sampling in both ingress and egress directions. With a value of 0, you enable sampling in egress direction only, which is also the default setting.
What’s New in vCenter Server 6.5 Update 3:
- With vCenter Server 6.5 Update 3, events related to adding, removing, or modifying user roles display the user that initiates the changes.
- vSphere Auditing Improvements: vCenter Server 6.5 Update 3 improves VMware vCenter Single Sign-On auditing by adding events for the following operations: user management, login, group creation, identity source, and policy updates. The new feature is available only for vCenter Server Appliance with an embedded Platform Services Controller and not for vCenter Server for Windows or vCenter Server Appliance with an external Platform Services Controller. Supported identity sources are vsphere.local, Integrated Windows Authentication (IWA), and Active Directory over LDAP.
- External database support: vCenter Server 6.5 Update 3 adds support to Microsoft SQL Server 2014 SP3.
VMware Tools Changes:
In ESXi 6.5 Update 3, a subset of VMware Tools 10.3.10 ISO images are bundled with the ESXi 6.5 Update 3 host.
The following VMware Tools 10.3.10 ISO images are bundled with ESXi:
- windows.iso: VMware Tools image for Windows Vista or later
- linux.iso: VMware Tools image for Linux OS with glibc 2.5 or later
The following VMware Tools 10.3.10 ISO images are available for download:
- solaris.iso: VMware Tools image for Solaris
- freebsd.iso: VMware Tools image for FreeBSD
- darwin.iso: VMware Tools image for OSX
Above all are the changes & improvements you will find in the vSphere 6.5 Update 3 so you can check for it’s compatibility then you can go for upgrade or patch which is best suited for your environment.
That’s it for Today Friends. I Hope you liked reading this post & If you find anything more to be added or removed feel free to write it in our comments. If you find it useful You are Feel free to share this on social media to help others & spread knowledge.
If you have any query on any thing you are free to write it in our comments section & we will make sure to provide you the better solution as soon as possible.