In this post we will see about User Interface of Site Recovery Manager in vSphere 6.7. With the release of vSphere 6.7 VMware has provided many functionalities in the new HTML5 Based web client. New HTML based web client is very smooth and silk where you can easily navigate, Now we don’t require adobe flash player dependency in the browser. You can run HTML5 based Web client from any browser which supports HTML5.
VMware has made completely new refreshed User Interface for the SRM in the vSphere Web client. New UI is based on the HTML5 based, which provides rich feature experience and easy navigation. If you have used previous version of SRM then you can easily identify the difference. Previously SRM was integrated in the vCenter Web Client only so you perform every action related to SRM from vCenter Web Client but in case of new UI, When you go to SRM Plugin you get completely new Site Recovery Manager page in another window where you can easily perform SRM Related tasks and operations.
In this post we have used Site Recovery Manager and vSphere Replication version 8.1 which is the latest version announced. So if you are using the older version then you will see completely different UI.
So without waiting let’s start with the discussion.
When you login to New HTML5 Based client you will get the SRM plugin. Click on Site Recovery to access SRM.
Here you get the nice view of the status of vSphere Replication and Site Recovery Manager. Which shows that vSphere Replication and Site Recovery Manager health is green and working fine.
Now to Access the Site Recovery click on “Open Site Recovery”
This is the first screen you will see in the new browser window for site recovery.
In this i have already configured SRM so you will not see Paired Sites.
Once you Pair sites then you can go ahead.
Now to Access to the Site Recovery Manager click on View Details.
You need to provide the credentials if you are logging in for the first time.
Provide credentials and click Login.
You will get 4 Tabs to navigate through:
- Site Pair: It will help you to configure the Site Pairing and other configurations.
- Replications: It will help you to configure the Replication for the Virtual Machines.
- Protection Groups: It will help you to create Protection Groups for the virtual machines.
- Recovery Plans: It will help you to create Recovery Plan for the virtual machines.
This is the main home page of Site Recovery which will help you to perform site recovery related operations. It will show the summary status and details of the current Infrastructure.
You will do all the configuration of the Site Recovery Manager from this page.
In the Left side navigation section where you can easily navigate through different options to configure mappings, permissions, view history etc.
Here you can configure Forward and Reverse Replication for the virtual machines.
It will also show you the detailed status of the replication configured for the VM.
For configuring the Replication just click on New button to start. (We will see in the future posts on how to configure replication.)
- Forward Replication: It will help you to configure replication from DC Site to DR Site or we can say primary site to secondary site.
- Reverse Replication: It will help you to configure replication from DR Site to DC Site or we can say secondary site to primary site.
Here you can create and manage protection groups for the virtual machines. Now you can easily create and manage protection groups. If you have long list of Protection groups then you can easily search for the any protection group easily. (In the Future post we will see on how to create Protection Group.)
- Summary: It shows the nice summary view of the Protection Group and it’s details.
- Issues: It will show you if any issues related to the Protection group.
- Permissions: It will show which user has permissions to access the Protection Groups.
- Virtual Machines: It will show you the virtual machines which are added to this Protection Group.
Recovery Plans tab is your most important where you can create, manage and run recovery for the virtual machines. You get the different tabs for easily access and manage recovery plans.
This is Summary tab where you will see nice summary about the recovery plan and status of it.
- Summary: It shows the nice summary view of the recovery plan where you can get the plan status, recent history, and VM status.
- Recovery Steps: Here you can perform recovery plan operations and see detailed steps of each.
- Issues: It will show you if any issues has occurred with the recovery plan.
- History: It is very useful to find history information related to recovery plans. You get information about Operation performed, Result of the Operations, Date , Duration and User who has performed the operation. Now you can export the recovery steps easily by just clicking export button. You can export in different formats such as HTML, XML,CSV, XLS and DOC.
- Permissions: It will show which user has permissions to access the Recovery Plan.
- Protection Groups: It will help you to get the associated protection groups with the selected recovery plan.
- Virtual Machines: It will show you the virtual machines which are added to this recovery plan.
In the Future posts we will be working on Installing and Configuring Site Recovery Manager step by step.
Checkout Site Recovery Manager Deep Dive for Installation,Configuration and Recovery :
That’s it for Today Friends. I Hope you liked reading this post & If you find anything more to be added or removed feel free to write it in our comments. If you find it useful You are Feel free to share this on social media to help others & spread knowledge.
If you have any query on any thing you are free to write it in our comments section & we will make sure to provide you the better solution as soon as possible.