vSAN Upgrade is quite simple but you need to take many things into consideration before going for upgrade because all of your VM data stays on the vSAN Cluster. So if anything goes wrong there might b chances that you can lose data. In this post we will see on How you can Upgrade vSAN Cluster Step by Step.
vSAN Cluster Upgrade is the process where you upgrade vSAN and it’s on disk format version to support & use the latest features available with vSAN. When the newer version of vSAN is announced you can see there is lot of improvements and additional features are added so to use the best of vSAN you can upgrade vSAN Cluster.
Points to Remember before Upgrading vSAN Cluster:
- Make sure that Hardware you are using is the Supported in the VMware HCL and supported for the latest version of vSAN. All the Controller and Driver versions must be matching and it should also be supported with target version of ESXi.
- Make sure that your vSphere Environment is up to date means that you are running latest version of vSphere. vCenter & ESXi hosts are running the same versions. All of the ESXi hosts are using same build versions.
- It is must that the all checks in the health plugin of the vSAN cluster must show green. All vSAN Components should be in healthy state. No disk should be failed or absent.
- Check there should be no inaccessible vSAN objects.If there is any Inaccessible vSAN Object check and resolve it , you can also take support from VMware Support to check on it.
- There should not be any active resync at the start of the upgrade process. Some resync activity is expected during the upgrade process, as data needs to be synchronized following host reboots.The Administrator must wait till resync finishes before putting next host into Maintenance Mode.
- Check Current utilization of vSAN datastore and check you have enough free space. Check the Utilization of each disk group and disks , check if they need a Proactive Rebalance.
- Make sure that you have placed the vSAN hosts in maintenance mode and selected the Ensure data accessibility or Evacuate all data option.
- Make sure that there are no known compatibility issues between your current vSAN version and the desired target vSAN version. You can check vSAN Version Release notes for that information.
- Make sure that you have all the backup of Virtual Machines running on vSAN.
So now let’s see How to Upgrade vSAN Cluster Step by Step:
Make sure your all the ESXi hosts are upgraded successfully and running smoothly without any issues.
Select your vSAN Cluster and go to Configure Tab.
Expand vSAN > Select Disk Management.
Here you can see current Disk version of your vSAN and Upgrade Options.
Before going for Upgrade its is recommended to do “Pre-Check Upgrade” to ensure everything is fine.
Click on Pre-Check Upgrade.
You will get the result of Pre-Checks performed.
Now we can start the Upgrade Process.
Click on Upgrade to start process.
You will be asked for the confirmation. There is no rollback option after on-disk format upgrade. So make sure to read this information and click on Upgrade.
You can see the status of the tasks performed on the Upgrades. It will take long time to Upgrade vSAN based on your environment and data.
Once the Upgrade completes successfully , you can see that all of the disks are running on the latest version.
After Upgrade make sure to check the health status of your vSAN Cluster , All of the components should show the green status. Check and verify all the disk groups and disks.
Before powering on all the VMs you can test by powering on any Non Production or Test VM so that if something is wrong you can work on it.
So using this way you can easily Upgrade your vSAN Cluster.
Note: vSAN Upgrade is very critical for any environment so make sure to check all the prerequisite and full fill all the requirements and take help from VMware Support any alerts or issues.
That’s it for Today Friends. I Hope you liked reading this post & If you find anything more to be added or removed feel free to write it in our comments. If you find it useful You are Feel free to share this on social media to help others & spread knowledge.
If you have any query on any thing you are free to write it in our comments section & we will make sure to provide you the better solution as soon as possible.