NIC Teaming is a feature which provides the Network redundancy & load balance the traffic. NIC teaming requires at least 2 NIC’s to configure NIC Teaming. NIC Teaming groups the multiple NIC into one single logical NIC which will help when one NIC fails to load or network fails.
You can Configure NIC Teaming on vSwitch as well as on DvSwitch to balance load & in case of uplink failure to provide the redundant connectivity to your virtual infrastructure.You can configure NIC Teaming by option Teaming & failover in vSwitch Edit Settings.
NIC Teaming & failover has 4 different options :-
Load Balancing :-
It provides load balancing by 4 different policy you can configure to do load balancing.
- Route based on originating virtual port :- Every VM port group & VM kernel port group uses virtual port on vswitch for connectivity & than vSwtich assign uplink to virtual port for connectivity. This option works on the virtual port in case of uplink failure or vm power state change or in case of vMotion migration. This is the default option already selected.
- Route based on IP Hash :- When the traffic enters through the vSwitch this option will generate the IP hash based on source & destination IP addresses & than choose which uplink to be used.
- Route based on source MAC Hash :- This option works same as the IP Hash but instead of IP it uses source MAC address to generate Hash for uplink assignment.
- Use Explicit failover order :- This option doesn’t provide any type of Load Balancing but it just works on the Active adapters it chooses available active adapters in case of link failures if no active adapter available it will find for adapter in the standby list.
Network Failure Detection :-
This provides below 2 types of options in case of network failure detected.
- Link Status Only :- This works on the link status of the network adapters provided. It basically detects the link status such as if cable is unplugged, physical switch failures. It does not work on physical switch configuration errors.
- Beacon Probing :- Beacon Probing sends & receives the beacons on the available NIC in the NIC Teaming & on that base it detects the link status or link failure.
Note :- Do not use This in case you are using the IP Hash load balancing policy.
Notify Switches :-
You can configure only Yes or No in this option. It works on the MAC address tables which are used to map ports & mac address. By default it is set to yes. In the event of link failure traffic is sent using new uplink the special notification is sent to physical switch to notify & update the MAC address on the physical switch.
You can configure Yes or No in this option. This works on the Active adapters if one active adapters fails or any error occurs on active adapter this will enable the standby adapter into active adapter till the failed active adapter get corrected. when failed active adapter recovered it will immediately get activated again.
If Set to No it will wait till the another NIC fails or we return recovered NIC to active state.
Failover Order :-
This is the last section of NIC Teaming. It provides three different adapter order states.
Active Adapter :- It will display the active adapter on which traffic is passing.
Standby Adapter :- This list the Adapters which are stored in the standby state when the active adapters fails the standby adapter becomes active.
Unused Adapter :- This list all the Adapter which are not being used. This adapters will not work if any active or standby adapter fails.
Checkout Our Posts on vSwitch :-
- What is vSwitch ?
- How to Create vSwitch ?
- How to add Uplinks in vSwitch ?
- How to Configure NIC Teaming in vSwitch ?
- How to Configure Traffic Shaping in vSwitch ?
- What are vSwitch Security Policies ?
- How to Configure vSwitch Security Policies ?
- Difference Between vSphere Standard Switch & vSphere Distributed Switch.
That’s it for Today Friends. I Hope you liked reading this post & If you find anything more to be added or removed feel free to write it in our comments. If you find it useful You are Feel free to share this on social media to help others & spread knowledge.
If you have any query on any thing you are free to write it in our comments section & we will make sure to provide you the better solution as soon as possible.